Every tree care company has its own way of handling trees of a different specimen. It is essential to use the right techniques considering the unique situation of a tree. The use of the right equipment is a crucial factor for the success of the tree service. While many tree companies utilize the proper tools when performing tree care, a few ones use spikes which are detrimental to the health of your trees.
Climbing spikes are leather straps with steel spikes. These are wrapped on the climber’s legs as he works on the tree. Spikes are useful in a way that it helps arborists to climb the tree with ease. However, it shouldn’t be used on a tree that will not be removed because of its adverse effects on the tree. It leaves punctures on the tree that can lead to tissue death. While small puncture wounds typically heal, significant ones can result in the tree’s death.
Trees have a delicate layer of tissue that is essential for the regeneration of their cells. Using spikes can harm this tissue and eventually cause irreparable damage if left untreated.
When is it okay to use spikes?
We have made it clear from the start that using spikes can cause damage to trees, but we cannot dismiss the fact that there are unique situations when spikes are actually advantageous. Here is a list of cases where using spikes are acceptable:
- The tree’s branches are too high, and there are no available aerial lifts or cranes to reach them.
- The tree is rotten or diseased or is about to be taken down.
- The tree is in a location that is difficult to access using other means, or it is surrounded by obstacles such as utility lines and other fixed structures.
An expert tree service company are proficient in using the right equipment in performing different tree services. They don’t utilize spikes when not needed because they understand the dangers it can bring to the overall health of the tree.
We have come up with a list of the good qualities you should look for in a Tree Service to help you decide who to hire:
- Reputation: A qualified tree company is affiliated with organizations in the tree industry such as the Tree Care Industry Association and has proven its worth through positive client feedbacks.
- Insurance: Never do business with a company that cant provide proof of their license and insurance documentation. You should protect yourself from possible liabilities and other legal complications if the company you hired doesn’t have these crucial credentials.
- References: There is no better way to find out about a company’s overall service but by asking those who experienced it firsthand. If the company has more negative feedback than positive ones from their past customers, this should speak a lot about how they perform the job and how they treat their clients. Be wary of these companies and look for one that has better reviews.
- Contract: A contract is a written agreement that outlines important information about the service you are using. It should have details about the date when the work is to be performed, what exact service you availed, and the total service cost. Even if you trust the company, it is still wise to get a copy of it for reference.
Lindbergh’s Tree Service Greensboro is the sponsor of this article and information.